Theodore Roosevelt said "Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty..."
Well if that quote is true, this should be the most rewarding experience of my life. Despite my precious baby kitty dying, having an allergic reaction to penicillin, which put me in the hospital briefly, and a number of other things getting messed up, I have arrived in Costa Rica!
Nathanael and I took the Mexico City Airport by storm. He wrote one of his papers in pencil and was told to redo it. I did not realize there was a security check point ahead and my waterbottle was still full from the Chicago airport. It took some convincing for them to let me simply pour out the water, instead of taking my whole nice bottle. We, however, successfully navigated the international airports and arrived around noon today. Costa Rica is one hour behind Illinois.
I moved in with my host family today. There is a mom and her son, who is older than me, living here. She has another daughter and granddaughter who have their own house, but visited with us today. They are quite nice people. The mom only speaks Spanish, which is difficult, but is forcing me to speak Spanish a lot (which is the whole point of this trip). There are also two cats living in the house, who provide good entertainment. Toño, the kitten, was snuggled up on my bed earlier.
Tomorrow, I have orientation at the university. I will be able to meet the other students and figure out how to get around this crazy city! The university is only a couple blocks away from my house, but the streets here are quite twisty. You have to go one block to the left and over to go two blocks to the right. I'm glad I don't have to drive. It would be quite easy to get lost.
Pura Vida!

No comments:
Post a Comment