Driving the ferry like a pro
We landed and found our hostel The Landing Place. Clean beds, our own bath, and a room of hammocks upstairs. What more could a girl want?
The first day we rode a bus and walked to the ojos de aguas. They are springs of mineral water that are supposed to have healing properties. It was a little disappointing though, because it really just looked like a swimming pool with an entrance and exit for the water. They did however have a rope swing to fall into the water! That was pretty fun.
Ojo de Aguas
We ate dinner at Mar Dulce multiple nights. It is an Argentinian restaurant with the best smoothies ever.
Our second day had a late start, so all we had time for was a hike to a waterfall, but after that hike I don't know that I could of done anything else. It was 3 km straight up the side of a volcano; one of the hardest things I have ever done. The 350 feet waterfall at the top was spectacular and made it worth it. We waded in the very cold water pooling at the bottom and you could see out to the lake from it. My legs hurt a lot the next day, but it was good for me! At this point in the week, I reached the limit of my 16 GB memory card for the first time ever! The climb down was much easier.
A picture trying to show how tall it was
My group
Day three on Ometepe held kayaking in store for us. We decided to rent dirt bikes for easy travel and some fun! I didn't know how to drive one, so Drake drove with me on the back. Thank you Drake for not crashing! There is one big road that loops around the island. It is nicely paved for about 2/3 of our journey, but then it is a dirt rode with rocks poking up haphazardly. It was a little scary, but Drake rode it like a pro!
Drake and I on our bike
Kayaking worked out my arms, so between day two and three I had a full body workout. We paddled along the lake, up a river, back down, and back up the lake. In the river, we saw birds, alligators, lizards, monkeys, turtles, and sleeping bats. The ride back up the lake was very hard. My arms were tired and it felt at times like I wasn't moving anywhere. We all survived to tell the tale.
One of the volcanoes in the background
Entering the river
Kayaking!
On the way back, we pulled into a field and they taught me how to drive a bit. I took a spin around the field on my own! I don't know how to shift gears yet, but hopefully someone will teach me soon!
The island is a pretty awesome place and we're all sad to be leaving.
Pura Vida!








No comments:
Post a Comment