Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The world is a book...

& those who do not travel read only one page.
St. Augustine

Month two has been in full swing! I am taking two classes this month and it is a lot of work! In the mornings, I am in Spanish (advanzado uno) for four hours and I spent two hours in the afternoon in cultural photography. Last month, I started advanzado uno and did not felt prepared. This month I am much more confident in my ability to complete this class! The conversation class really did help my Spanish improve. I enjoy my teacher and the other students in my class. The class is challenging and we have a lot of homework, but I do enjoy it. The cultural photography class is not as advanced and I thought it would be, but it is still fun. I enjoy receiving the different homework challenges, as they invite me to take pictures I might not have otherwise.

Here we did light painting 
 Did you know Picasso was this first? Google it! This is my picasso.
 Teatro Nacional at night. I was downtown at dusk shooting and got this image!
 In the Biblioteca Nacional
 The inside
 I wrote a narrative off of this picture that I captured. I loved that look of pure awe.
 We played with different kinds of motion in photography, such as this motion blur.
 We took photos inside one of the local markets.
 We were looking for texture, patterns, colors, etc.
 And we interviewed people working at the stands!
 While shooting downtown, we got to watch these two doing some really cool tricks.
 We've been to several art museums and galleries around town.
 I loved looking at all the work.
 This is a cork tree!! They make cork from it! It feels so weird and cool. The tree is kind of squishy.
 We shot graffiti downtown.
 And different houses around Barrio Amón.
 Still life photography (of course I used Dr. Seuss and keys!)
 Black and white photography of lines (These are my bedroom blinds!)
 Photography of lines, dots, and curves.

We also got to meet this Costa Rican photographer! He showed us around his house and let us look at a lot of his work.

I stayed in San José for the first two weekends of the month. I was able to explore the city more and do some shopping. By one mall, there is a wine store. We went inside to ask if we could take some corks for free. The guy not only let us take as many corks as we wanted, but also gave us the full tour of their wine cellars.


I also visited with newborn (2 weeks old) kittens! They were so tiny they could have fit in one of my hands.


I also attended a flamenco concert. The school drove us to the restaurant that held the concert. It was definitely on "tico time" as the concert went casually on and off for almost four hours! There was music played and a male and female flamenco dancers.

I really love her dress

Pura Vida!


No comments:

Post a Comment