Saturday, August 25, 2012

Life Behind the Lens


For the month of July, I took an elective course, Cultural Photography, in the afternoons. I love being in a photography class finally. We mostly meet on campus and show each other the photos we took for whatever the day’s assignment was. Some days we have gone downtown to the plazas, to museums, to art galleries, to see graffiti, and even to meet a Costa Rican photographer. We have had some very interesting assignments and experiences. I loved talking to the photographer about his work and seeing his dark room. Some of the assignments were also projects I have previously thought about doing, but never actually completed, such as the light painting. We also viewed work of other Latino artists, worked a little in Photoshop, and tried doing photo transfers (transferring a photo onto another piece of paper using alcohol… it did not completely work, but it was a neat concept). Overall, I really loved the class and it was a good prompt to help me continuously take photos in Costa Rica (not that I really needed any reminding). I do, however, wish the class had focused a little bit more on the cultural part of the title. I thought we could have visited more local places and less touristy ones or meet and photographed more ticos, Costa Rican citizens.
Light painting

An assignment on finding lines

Line assignment


Biblioteca Nacional

Downtown San Jose

People in motion

Repetition and patterns downtown

Downtown San Jose

Art Museum

Art museum

Costa Rican Photographer

Photography Transfers

Pura Vida

No comments:

Post a Comment